Here are some freely available resources for neuroscience researchers. I hope you use them and find them helpful. And please leave any feedback or suggestions using the form at the bottom of this page.
My user guide to optogenetics. In vivo optogenetics is an important technique, but it’s challenging to do right. Hopefully my guide will be useful to anyone wanting to start using optogenetics, as well as providing tips to those with more experience.
Neuroscience Network Forum
Because I don’t know everything about neuroscience, I set up a discussion forum. I invite anyone with any kind of issue or question related to neuroscience to ask it here, and hopefully we can find an expert to answer it.
My attempt to counter the cost and exclusivity of optogenetics. Here you will find curated lists of open source optogenetics equipment. I have also included examples of how to incorporate this kit into your setups.
How do you know what neuroscience equipment to buy, or where to buy it from? I’ll only endorse something if I’ve used it and know it works. And you know there’s no bias, I’m completely independent, with no conflicts of interest.
I have developed a range of tools to aid your in vivo optogenetics journey:
- Cannula angle calculator – makes it easy to plan stereotaxic surgery for implanting optic fibres at an angle
- Optogenetics power calculator – input your experimental parameters and gain an estimate of the optical light power you’ll need
- Optogenetics depth calculator – input your experimental parameters and gain an estimate of the depth you’re likely to activate your neurones
- Sample size calculator – input data from a previous experiment to predict the n-number you’ll need for your upcoming study
Here are some sites I’ve found useful in my time as an optogeneticist:
- Karl Diesseroth’s optogenetics resource centre, including his irradiance calculator
Some manufacturers/suppliers of optogenetics equipment:
Some manufacturers/suppliers of behaviour equipment:
Some manufacturers/suppliers of physiology equipment:
Some manufacturers/suppliers of in vivo neuronal activity measurement equipment:
I hope these neuroscience resources are useful for you. If you have any feedback, comments or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to send a message below.